A weird title for this post, I know… But I came across this blog post on another wordpress site (Thanks ercarletti.wordpress.com). It included 50 questions that you should ask yourself or others to learn more about people. I figured I would give it a try, though I admit that I have not read all of these questions yet and do not know whether I will feel like the information they are asking is too personal for me to answer here or not. I guess we’ll find out!
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called?
I have had quite a few nicknames over the years, none of which I will list here so that I can keep my anonymity. But I will say that I prefer it when people call me by a unique nickname or my real name. It’s no fun if people cannot spell my real name, so that’s a huge pet peeve of mine, but at the same time I don’t want people running around calling me by some nickname that they also call every other person they know! (I don’t know that this counts as an answer, but okay…)
2. What books on your shelf are begging to be read?
All of them! Even the ones that I have already read! I am a book addict if you did not already know, and I love reading books almost every night before bed. When I don’t, I go back to a book later and realize how much I’ve missed it! (P.S. I am currently looking forward to reading a book for work’s Literature Circle, and I just bought six new books at the store today! My library is quickly running out of room, but my brain wants more!)
3. How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like?
I take after my father here; I normally doodle while I’m on the phone or thinking hard about something. My doodles are normally random lines and shapes put together to make some nonsense pattern. I CANNOT draw for anything, so I won’t leave you a picture or anything…
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and Turn? Try to get up and do something productive?
If I can’t sleep at night, I normally read, watch TV, or do work. I know, that last one especially sounds weird, but sometimes it works. Normally when I cannot sleep I’m not tired enough or I have too much on my mind. Nothing distracts me like needing to focus on some serious work!
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it?
Probably none. When I’m alone, I often over think. When I over think, I have anxiety attacks. When I have anxiety attacks, it’s never good to be alone. I mean, I guess I could live, but it wouldn’t be pretty… for anyone involved.
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away?
I save them, particularly the old letters. I love it when someone takes that extra time to send me a hand-written letter. Nothing puts a smile on my face better than a sweet gesture like that! And I’m a little old fashioned…
7. Who is the biggest pack rat you know?
Haha. My grandpa was. Now? Hm… not sure? I don’t pay much attention to how much people “stow away” in their homes. I will say that my dad and his siblings take after their dad in a lot of ways; I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them was secretly a pack rat… or maybe more than one!
8. When making an entrance in to a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost?
1) What party?
2) Why would you go to a party alone?
3) This is the worst question so far…
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be?
My sixth sense: My emotion. Nothing can beat that baby!
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror?
Twice? Maybe three times? I’m definitely not one to stand in front of the mirror and primp and worry about my weight and all that nonsense. There are so many more important things in life!
11. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child?
Possibly that the tooth fairy was real… at least that’s the best I’m coming up with at this point. I mean, how can someone so small put money under my pillow while my head is on the pillow? Haha!
12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up?
Reality TV shows. Yes, a guilty pleasure. I mean, most people watch them, but you would think that I would be one of the people to realize how overrated and stupid they are. And the thing is, I do! I just find some weird joy in watching other people’s lives turn out similar to mine. Knowing other people mess up sometimes also helps, though that makes me sound like an awful person.
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know?
My sister… didn’t I write a post about this once?
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections?
Never. None. Nada! (I have a good reason why though!)
15. Which animals scare you most? Why?
Reptiles and insects. I am not sure why; maybe because people put so much emphasis on how weird their scales and crawly legs feel. It seems silly since most of them are barely dangerous and most of them are millions of times smaller than me, but it’s true!
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on?
RUN RUN! Is this a question intended to create conflict? If so, I plead the fifth!
17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savoured?
I’m pretty sure I was told I was amazing or awesome or something like that. And that I’m a good kisser (but I don’t really believe it!) I’ve been getting a lot of compliments lately, and it makes me feel super special. I’d like to keep them in a journal just so I have them for when things change in life and I need a compliment but am receiving none.
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will?
My level of anxiety and how I cannot always handle it alone, which makes me scared to live alone, etc.
19. Are you a creature of habit? Explain.
Absolutely, though over the past few years, I have become more used to randomness. But when I know that there is a specific schedule set for any one day, it better stay that way or I’m a mess! Otherwise, some randomness can be fun sometimes.
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain.
I don’t think so, but not many people understand my high level of emotion. I’m not very needy when it comes to material things, but I do need a lot of emotional support and understanding.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits?
It has been a while. I like to play it safe with my health…
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why?
A whole lot of acquaintances and a few very close friends… why does this question act like you cannot have both at the same time? I know a ton of people, particularly from work, but I can count all of my closest friends on one hand!
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others?
I’m a teacher, what do you think?
24. What’s a strange occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone?
I get feelings of dejavu an awful lot! It’s weird! And sometimes the thing that I seem to be “repeating” is something that feels like it has already been repeated more than once. So weird…
25. What do you think about more than anything else?
My feelings and those that I love.
26. What’s something that amazes you?
The random kindness that so few people still have. But when I see it, it’s like I’m watching a miracle come alive. I guess it’s actually sad that this seems so amazing to me, but it is great!
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? Why?
It depends on the situation and my mood. Sometimes I feel like I need (or want) to be babied, but other times, I just want to know the truth. I guess as long as people aren’t straight out lying to me, it doesn’t really matter all that much.
28. Where’s your favourite place to take an out-of-town guest?
The next town over! There’s not much to do or see in this one. 🙂
29. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why?
Change the oil in my car or do home makeovers and other technical repairs. Sure, I can do anything that I set my mind to and I do know how to change the oil in my car, but why bother? I am in the process of bettering myself and my mechanic can always use a few extra dollars for some easy work! I don’t mind helping him out if he helps me. 🙂
30. Do you have a catchphrase?
Not that I know of… I do have habits though, little quirks that not many people do…
31. What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs? What conditions cause you to dislike or, conversely, enjoy talking with them?
I enjoy talking with these people most times, but there is a thin line. I love learning about different cultures, religions, and beliefs, but I do not like it when someone tries to convert me to their way of thinking… that’s when it gets bad!
32. How and where do you prefer to study?
Everywhere and anywhere, though a quiet place is pretty darn good!
33. What position do you sleep in?
I toss and turn and roll all over… or so I’ve been told!
34. What’s your all-time favourite town or city? Why?
I have a few, but there are many more places that I have not yet been!
35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new?
Honestly, I’m not really sure. Physical appearance isn’t the first for sure. Probably humor, sincerity, and compassion? Idk…
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you?
I am not sure that it has. I am the big sister, but most times I feel like she’s more mature and responsible than I am in many things in life…
37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be?
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be?
Wow… I cannot believe I just said that. I have wished for so many years that I could have people back in my life. So many people have left for such stupid reasons that it seems silly I cannot have them back. But I think I’ve found a place of peace… a place where I do not want to go back. I’m content here and I am coming to realize that I have not gotten here without going through all of the hurt and crap and obstacles that I have gotten through before.
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
That’s a hard question! Something unique like mine is now but not so frustrating for when other people have to spell it… no one gets it right! P.S. I love my name!!!
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not?
No; ignorance is never bliss. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, but when it comes to your original action, it’s better to have all of the facts and just know how to control your actions. If you don’t let things ruin you, they won’t.
41. What do you consider unforgivable?
Many things, though I’m not sure I can pinpoint them! It depends on my perspective of the situation, whether I am directly involved, and how much emotional stress I am currently under. I will try to forgive anyone, but it’s not always possible. One thing I know for sure: cheating is NEVER okay. EVER.
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not?
Not all of them, but I’m working on it. I hold myself to very high standards, not because I think people without standards are less worthy or any nonsense like that, but because I want to be as successful as I can be. I find reaching for perfectionism is not the happiest thing anyone can do, but it has gotten me pretty far in my life thus far. I think that outlook on life makes it harder for me to forgive myself for things. But it will be okay sooner or later. I’ve improved in this a lot.
43. How difficult is it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize?
Very difficult. Extremely! I want to, but I just cannot. Even if some people do apologize, I cannot forgive. Or maybe I just don’t forget…
44.Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for?
I would never intentionally hurt someone unless it was in self defense. And before you freak out or take this the wrong way, I’m not just talking physically. More people are abused emotionally than anything else, and those are the kinds of hurt that truly concern me. Would I be willing to die for that belief… well, I’m not honestly sure. Who can know what they would gladly die for until placed in a situation that makes them decide in a split second?
45. To what extent do you trust people? Explain.
Not very much. I am a very open person (or this blog wouldn’t exist), but I have some reservations about people because of my past. It’s funny; barely anyone I know personally even knows this site exists. My coworkers don’t really know anything about me. But my friends and family? I’d tell them everything. I guess it’s just figuring out whether they are my friends or not that is the hardest part.
46. In what area of your life are you immature?
Chores, errands… whatever you want to call them. If I had enough money to pay someone to cook and clean and do those silly tasks at the end of my long day, I’d absolutely do it. Though I know I wouldn’t learn anything from that, it truly does drive me crazy to “waste” my time doing those types of tasks. I’m not even sure why…
47. What was the best news you ever received?
My dad was still alive (long story).
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular?
Not very! If I ever lie, it’s normally due to my extreme sarcasm and is not even meant as a lie when it leaves my lips. I truly do not try to lie EVER, though I will be quiet when there is something on my mind that I know I should say but really don’t want to share.
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first?
Question 1: About a month ago
Question 2: I’m still figuring that out (Question 3 has this same answer…)
Question 4: No.
50. When do you find yourself singing?
When am I alone? Haha.
That was pretty fun; I suggest you share with your friends and answer them together. You might learn something awesome. 😉